Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
GIS Intern - Minneapolis, MN
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a GIS Intern to join our team beginning in Summer of 2022 in our Minneapolis, MN office. This position will be a part of our Power Division. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provide independent data interpretation while effectively maintaining data documentation.
* Create and modify GIS datasets; manage and maintain legacy GIS datasets; develop and implement GIS-based analyses supporting engineering and survey projects.
* Produce technically skilled and detailed solutions to include preparing clear, complete, and accurate representations of spatial data using hardcopy and/or electronic media.
* Core responsibility includes processing data and graphics requests from project team members and anticipating information needs and presentation format as part of engineering and survey workflows.
* Spatial analysis is the dominant portion of the job duties envisioned for this position, but will be balanced with a variety of cartography, field staff support, and research and development.
* You will work on energy projects, such as transmission, solar and wind, and land projects, such as residential and commercial development, to compile available information for project proposals.
* Develop and maintain geospatial data on desktop and mobile applications. Ensure data meets appropriate data accuracy and content standards for quality assurance and quality control.
* Must be pursuing or have a degree in GIS, geography, surveying, mapping, environmental studies or related field with demonstrated capabilities in GIS.
* Hands-on knowledge of Esri ArcGIS software, including ArcMap, ArcPro, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Collector.
* Strong understanding of geodatabases and geodatabase applications.
* Ability to work with vector and raster datasets.
* Experience using ArcGIS Online or another web mapping system.
* Ability to use and edit shapefiles and geodatabases.
* Experience working with different coordinate systems, map projections, and datum's.
* Familiarity with standard cartographic methods, theories and principles.
* Ability to independently manage multiple assignments, determine and set job task priorities and work with limited direct supervision.
Preferred but not required
* Previous work in/familiarity with consulting engineers and/or surveyors.
* Experience using AutoCAD and DWG files
* Familiar with GPS data collection and data management.
* Familiar with LiDAR datasets and usage
* Experience using Python, Arcade, ModelBuilder, or another common GIS scripting language is desirable, as job duties will include creating scripts to streamline frequently performed tasks.
* Experience using Google Earth and KMZ files.
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group's Hot Firm's List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.