Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Transmission & Distribution Engineering Intern - Lansdale, PA
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Transmission & Distribution Engineering Intern to join our team beginning in Summer of 2022 in our Lansdale, PA office. This position will be a part of our Power Division. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Work under the lead of a Senior Engineer with a team of other Engineers to complete projects for multiple clients across the U.S. ranging from Simple Service designs to Multi-Year Rebuilds/Tie Line Programs.
* Willingness to travel to project sites, as necessary, to gather data and interface with clients.
* Perform all aspects of designing OH/UG power line projects. (line routing, finite element analysis, hardware/conductor selection, technical support during construction, One-Calls, DOT and municipality permitting, right-of-way requests, electrical one-line diagrams)
* Develop an understanding of each deliverable necessary for the project at hand. Including, but not limited to, plan & profiles, structure load analysis, structure framing, bill of materials and design drawings.
* Coordinate internal/external reviews of designs completed prior to final submission.
Skills and Qualifications:
* Bachelor's Degree in progress in Electrical, Civil/Structural, Mechanical or Multi-Disciplinary Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program.
* This is an entry level position requiring little to no experience in Power Line Design.
* Professional disposition and the ability to be open-minded when it comes to planning and execution of assigned projects.
* Must be able to effectively manage a significant number of projects while maintaining work product quality, consistency, accuracy, and reliability.
* Proficiency in MS Office Software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Project)
For Preferred Consideration (Not Required):
* Basic knowledge of overhead and/or underground electric facilities and a basic understanding of its integration into daily activities.
* EIT with the ability to become registered PE.
* Experience with NESC, ASCE and IEEE standards
* Proficiency with AutoCAD, PLS-CADD, PoleForeman, PolyWater Pull-Planner, O-Calc, SPIDAcalc, GIS, IKE
About Westwood Professional Services, Inc. (Westwood)
Westwood is a multi-disciplined national surveying and engineering services provider for commercial and residential development, public infrastructure, wind energy, solar energy, energy storage, and electric transmission projects. Westwood was established in 1972 in Minneapolis, Minnesota and has grown to serve clients across the nation from multiple U.S. offices. In 2020, Westwood ranked on the top 150 design firms on Engineering News Record (ENR), #4 on Zweig Group's Hot Firm's List, and #9 on Best Firms to Work For, all national industry lists and record-breaking rankings for the firm.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.