Hubbell Incorporated was founded in 1888 and has grown into an international manufacturer of quality electrical, lighting and power solutions with more than 75 brands used and recognized around the world. Our founder, Harvey Hubbell, developed tooling and equipment to serve the growing demand for new assembly and manufacturing machinery during the industrial revolution. An early, and one of many patents awarded, came for the creation of the first practical method to control electricity through the pull chain socket that remains unchanged today. As a market leader in reliable, electrical solutions, we provide more than half a million products delivered through our various business groups. Hubbell is committed to continually innovating solutions that work, transforming old products with new ideas, and ensuring that we Energize, Enlighten and Empower the communities that support us.
Hubbell Power Systems (HPS) engages in the design and manufacture of a wide variety of products used by utilities. Today, HPS is deeply engaged in product solutions for OSP Communication utility purposes, and has been actively growing that segment of the business. HPS roots have historically been in high voltage transmission, distribution, substation, underground products used by electric utilities. HPS products are also used in the civil construction, transportation, gas and water industries.
At HPS, we build products that provide mission critical infrastructure and that deliver communications and power to millions of people worldwide. In our business, failure is not an option. Therefore, we manufacture products of uncompromising integrity and it starts with our quality policy. We hold our partners, our suppliers and ourselves to the highest standard to ensure we exceed all the technical and functional expectations of our customers.
Hubbell Incorporated engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of electrical and electronic products in the United States and internationally. It operates in three segments: Electrical, Power, and Industrial Technology.
8100 Churchill Avenue
Leeds, AL 35094
This Position will be for Fall 2021 or Spring 2022
We are looking for a mechanical engineering coop. The applicant will assist in the development and analysis of products, materials, and equipment for use by electrical power utility companies. The student will work under direct supervision and receive applicable guidance from engineering staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
The applicant will assist the engineering staff with the following activities.
- Design mechanical parts, assemblies, and systems.
- Prepare 3D CAD models and detailed dimensioned drawings of parts and assemblies utilizing CAD tools.
- Optimize designs for production using DFA/DFM principles.
Perform mechanical finite element analysis (FEA) of part and assembly designs.
Release designs for production with all necessary engineering documentation.
- Fabricate, assemble and test prototypes to verify performance to design criteria.
- Develop and review design concepts, drawings, bill of materials, and assembly processes and techniques.
- Participate in prototype build and preproduction activities.
- Participate in Engineering Change processes.
- Develop, design and implement equipment, tooling, fixturing, processes and standard work to achieve production requirements for safety, delivery and cost.
- Optimize existing equipment, processes and standard work to increase yield, reduce defects, and increase production efficiency.
- Interface with outside contractors for equipment and process development.
Skills and Experience
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering program prefer sophomore or junior level.
Hubbell Incorporated, its subsidiaries and affiliates, is an EO Employer AA: M/F/Veteran/Disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected class.